Thread: Sundance leather replica??

Hybrid View

Default Re: Sundance leather replica??

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Duane, I would love to see you do your own ratings. As a first time shopper, I did a lot of internet research before coming to this forum. I am really thankful that I did, but I know most people probably wouldn't spend time reading this forum as opposed to a single webpage. That "quality table" that leathershoppes has on their website was the single best resource I had before coming to this forum. Not that I'm saying it's accurate - it's just, it is the only source that presents a lot of comparison information on a single page. Otherwise, it's a bunch of scattered information out there - some outdated, some misleading, some pitched to sell a particular brand, and some just plain wrong. It's hard even to determine whether a single brand is good, never mind how it ranks against others.

I see that quality table getting quoted again and again, because it's honestly the only thing out there for average consumers. Please consider doing one.
    Jenny,

I completely agree. I, too, am familiar with that site's ratings chart. I guess one positive is that maybe it gives just enough information that people then desire even more information.

Without doubt, Duane could produce a ratings system that would run circles around the other. What only Duane knows is exactly how much work it would require. I have no idea! Maybe it's so much second nature that Duane could simply roll it out in no time. Maybe not. It would be a mighty fine tool, though.

TXCajun

Oh no. The problem is I don't have the knowledge base to properly do that rating (and neither does Leather Shoppes). To do that correctly, and with integrity, would mean a half-day visit to each of those factories where they produce the pieces to actually see how they are building them, or to buy a piece from each maker and take it apart at my store, and I can't afford to do that. I need to put hands-on it, and look with my own two eyes.

Two problems however.

First, is who that kind of time to devote to that? It would take a month to do it right and realistically cost about $ 15,000 in travel and lost income to do a mega factory tour circuit just in the Carolinas.

Second is gaining access to the factories on brands I don't sell. Most companies don't take kindly to that.

Now, I could do what they have done and just shoot from the hip and speculate based on an opinion, but that's not my style. To make something that folks can rely on requires research and facts. I prefer to be better grounded, which is why I have never done an industry-comparison list for the consumer. I can compare and contrast the brands that I sell, that's easy, but not wide enough a spectrum to create a viable list of makers.

I will however, be glad to take your donations of furniture from other makers here at my store and tear them down back by the dumpster, and report back. They need be identifiable and less than 5 years old!
    Last edited by drcollie; 04-15-2016 at 03:54 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Oh no. The problem is I don't have the knowledge base to properly do that rating (and neither does Leather Shoppes). To do that correctly, and with integrity, would mean a half-day visit to each of those factories where they produce the pieces to actually see how they are building them, or to buy a piece from each maker and take it apart at my store, and I can't afford to do that. I need to put hands-on it, and look with my own two eyes.

Two problems however.

First, is who that kind of time to devote to that? It would take a month to do it right and realistically cost about $ 15,000 in travel and lost income to do a mega factory tour circuit just in the Carolinas.

Second is gaining access to the factories on brands I don't sell. Most companies don't take kindly to that.

Now, I could do what they have done and just shoot from the hip and speculate based on an opinion, but that's not my style. To make something that folks can rely on requires research and facts. I prefer to be better grounded, which is why I have never done an industry-comparison list for the consumer. I can compare and contrast the brands that I sell, that's easy, but not wide enough a spectrum to create a viable list of makers.

I will however, be glad to take your donations of furniture from other makers here at my store and tear them down back by the dumpster, and report back. They need be identifiable and less than 5 years old!
    Well, Duane, as usual, you clarify that which most of us (meaning, especially me) have no clue!

TXCajun