Thread: Can't get our of my recliner, help! Footrest too hard to close

Hybrid View

Default Re: Can't get our of my recliner, help! Footrest too hard to close

Most Glider/Recliners are on a wall-hugger mechanism, in fact I've not see one that isn't. If there is a lever you have to operate to get it to open, then they are definitely that type. You have to overcome the springs to close the units, and its mostly technique. When people have trouble closing wall huggers, its because they are pushing DOWN with their thighs. Relax the thighs and don't press down to the floor. Use your leg muscles and in particular the heel of your foot and press the footrest that way. Pushing down with the thighs reduces leverage and also winds up causing "Cushion Trap" where the lower front edge of the seat cushion gets caught in the footrest. If there are springs underneath, they usually come in pairs. You can try removing one and see how it operates. The real fix though is learning correct closing technique.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Can't get our of my recliner, help! Footrest too hard to close

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Most Glider/Recliners are on a wall-hugger mechanism, in fact I've not see one that isn't. If there is a lever you have to operate to get it to open, then they are definitely that type. You have to overcome the springs to close the units, and its mostly technique. When people have trouble closing wall huggers, its because they are pushing DOWN with their thighs. Relax the thighs and don't press down to the floor. Use your leg muscles and in particular the heel of your foot and press the footrest that way. Pushing down with the thighs reduces leverage and also winds up causing "Cushion Trap" where the lower front edge of the seat cushion gets caught in the footrest. If there are springs underneath, they usually come in pairs. You can try removing one and see how it operates. The real fix though is learning correct closing technique.
    Fearless leader: I know you are all about technique and learning how to close the recliner. I use to work at a furniture store a long time ago and have sat in recliners where you have to use your legs to close and I did it with no problem. I kid you not when I tell you these chairs are a work out, I actually got a cramp in calf today and had to walk it out. It is not a defect because my husband and I have identical chairs and they are both the same. We have had several people stop by and we have asked them to sit in the chairs and close the footrest with there legs, they all had difficulty, some said just don't recline. So I am going to flip it over and check out the springs and see if there is anyway of adjusting them. I will keep you posted of my progress if there is any. Thank you for replying, and have a great day.
    Tamara 3258