Thread: The Keeping Room name

Default The Keeping Room name

I know you have had this store name for a very long time, and I'm just curious as to where the name came from.

Default Re: The Keeping Room name

I believe it's the name his mother first had for a small furniture store she once had. But I could be wrong. Wait for Duane to explain.

I think you correct on that.

Yes. "The Keeping Room" was originally an antique store that my Mother started in the late 1970's and she selected that name as it was the Colonial America "Family Room" back in the 1700's. She was not a business person at all, and never understood the concepts of margin and profit, for her it was a social thing and she would spend hours making friends with whomever walked in her store. My Father humored her and kept it going, but it lost money every year. If my Mother paid $ 100 for an item she would sell it for $ 110 and say "I made ten dollars!" But with taxes, overhead, rent. licenses and the like she was going in the hole. Eventually it closed in 1983 and that was the end of it, just a few antiques moved to her house.

Then I came along to work aviation consulting with my Father and we bought the space where the store is, and had way too much room. So Mom dragged out her unsold antiques and put them in the excess space and hung 'The Keeping Room" sign back out front. I hated the Aviation Consulting business, it was unbelievably boring and tedious and people started coming in looking for antiques. My Mother was never around much, so I began selling antiques then ordering more and more, which evolved into high qualithy handmade reproductions in the late 80's and 90's. The Aviation biz folded and I made the store profitable and expanded it three times.

I never liked that name and was always going to change it, but never had time to do it and what would I call it anyways? In short order it became too well-known to change it - so there we are!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.