Thread: Hancock & Moore Choosing Foot Finish Color

Question Hancock & Moore Choosing Foot Finish Color

How do you possibly choose a finish color for the feet of your Hancock and Moore furniture, particularly the Ghent recliner and Ricki sofa? I'm thinking we'll be using the the married leather covers in both, Juno Oyster leather for the Ghent and Kismet Pewter in the Ricki. I read that Mahogany was the default used if you don't choose one when ordering. I'm guessing that most people try to match the color of their end tables and other furniture with the foot finish on their living room furniture, but I plan to get rid of my current end tables and not sure what type of color I'd choose to replace them in the future.

I like the darker colors for contrast so I'm thinking maybe any of the following: Artifacts, dark oak, Denmark, java, metropolitan, monarch, rainer, etc. would look fine with those particular colored leathers.

What colors did most of you choose if you have that sofa, recliner, and/or used those particular colored leathers?

https://www.hancockandmoore.com/Products/FinishList

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Choosing Foot Finish Color

There is not really a formula for selecting a wood finish, it comes down to a personal preference. I don't think the wood finish has to match other elements in the room, myself. I usually just select what looks good with a particular leather. Truth be told on 90% of the pieces it doesn't matter much, only where there is a high exposed wood content like a Jameswood chair does the finish really come into play.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you once again; I'm panicking a little bit about all these decisions, LOL.
    Last edited by Bargainspotter; 07-14-2022 at 09:46 AM.

Don't be. You can put yourself in decision paralysis and we see that all the time. Yes, there are a lot of choices, but the reality is you don't need that many. Most sofa legs are in the shadows and are hardly ever noticed, yet every day we see customers take our wood samples up to the window for best light and lay them all out on a horizontal plane looking for the perfect color. They get confused and start to shut down. So I calmly ask what is their first and second pick, then walk them away from the window to the middle of the store where there is just the overhead lighting, find a sofa and set them vertically (not horizontally) next to the existing sofa leg. Then I ask which they like the best. The answer is always "Well, I can't tell the difference". EXACTLY! They are in the shadows, vertical to the floor and they almost all look the same.
    Duane Collie

haha...that's a great story Duane.

So true....I am prone to analysis paralysis...the wood is probably the least important decision to make. Initially I wanted the wood on my different pieces to match...but I couldn't even remember what wood I had on my current furniture which only reinforces Duane's point...you'll never stare at the wooden legs of your furniture once it is in your home.

Unless you get one of these.....now the wood color choice makes a LOT of difference!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FBM 2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	14778
    Duane Collie

I think most people tend to either have a general preference for lighter or darker woods or mix woods in their homes. So chances are, whatever you generally gravitate towards will blend in fine. Honestely, if everything were identical shades of brown or white your house would probably look a little boring. Contrast is nice, too. I have dark wood cabinets and tables on light wood floors and carpets. So in the end, Duane is right. It just isn't likely to be a make or break issue no matter what you pick.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Don't be. You can put yourself in decision paralysis and we see that all the time. Yes, there are a lot of choices, but the reality is you don't need that many. Most sofa legs are in the shadows and are hardly ever noticed, yet every day we see customers take our wood samples up to the window for best light and lay them all out on a horizontal plane looking for the perfect color. They get confused and start to shut down. So I calmly ask what is their first and second pick, then walk them away from the window to the middle of the store where there is just the overhead lighting, find a sofa and set them vertically (not horizontally) next to the existing sofa leg. Then I ask which they like the best. The answer is always "Well, I can't tell the difference". EXACTLY! They are in the shadows, vertical to the floor and they almost all look the same.
    That helps a lot as do the other comments that others made. A lot of these decisions are left up to me for the most part, so I tend to overthink, overanalyze, etc. all the details, LOL. I'm going to do exactly what you said you do with your customers in the store and just choose my favorite 2 and take it from there.

Another question: What is the extra cost of the premium wood finishes or are they all different upcharges individually?
    Last edited by Bargainspotter; 07-14-2022 at 04:34 PM.

Premium finishes are significant cost and absolutely not worth it for sofa legs.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Premium finishes are significant cost and absolutely not worth it for sofa legs.
    Thanks, I'll avoid those for sure then.