Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looks like this Fall is going to be a bust

Here it is the end of October and there has been virtually NO fall business. Its amazing, and suppliers are calling like mad looking for orders and at the same time sending out price increases! Insanity!

I expected this after 09/11, but not this fall. I predict it won't be long before you will soon see a rash of furniture stores and suppliers closing up. Any business dealing in luxury or non-essential goods seems to be very, very quiet these days.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ayan Guest

Is Hooker Furniture among the casualties? I'm trying to access their web site and getting constant site errors!

Any market news on this?

Quote Originally Posted by ayan View Post
    Is Hooker Furniture among the casualties? I'm trying to access their web site and getting constant site errors!

Any market news on this?
    None that I have heard. I'm sure its just a web issue, Hooker I would not expect to be in trouble.
    Duane Collie

ayan Guest

You were right, the web site was just glitched.

However, Statton / Sovereign is apparently closing their doors.
    http://statton.com/

artielange Guest

Unhappy Agreed...

I placed an order with Duane for $8500 worth of Hancock and Moore in early September for a winter delivery. If I were doing it today I would feel a lot more hesitant to be making such a high end purchase at this time. Now if I could just undo the construction of our new house...sometimes the stress of having this house over my head with current economic conditions is very difficult on me!

My thoughts on this whole economic situation is much of the consumer holdback at mid to upper levels right now is fear-driven, caused largely in part by the fallout from high fuel prices and then the meltdown of the stock market.

We Americans are not fearful by nature, and as pressures ease (as they will when Obama comes into office and housing prices stabilize) then regular spending will return. The trick is for all the businesses (large and small) to hang on until then. So much of our economy is consumer-driven that a very long dry spell on spending will really hurt our country as whole.

If the G'ment wants to stimulate the economy they should send out a
    $ 1,000 Visa/Mastercard Prepaid Card to every family usable only at retail purchases or Hotel/Travel. That would get things moving.
    Duane Collie

The phone has been ringing off the hook since January 1st, and orders in my store are rolling in at a pace I've not seen in a very long time. Why is that? Anyone want to hazard a guess? I'm thinking its because its a new year, and a new President is coming in, mortgage rates are very low and housing prices have stopped hemorrhaging for the most part. Even my suppliers tell me their fax machines have orders in them since Jan 1. A welcome reversal to what turned out to be a dismal fall season.
    Duane Collie

puhmuckel Guest

Default Nothing changed

for most of us, only the fear of those around us. I got my savings, house paid for and spend only cash money. I can buy anything I want but won't cause piece of mind is # 1 in my book.