Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Restoration Hardware Sofa & Alteratives

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default Restoration Hardware Sofa & Alteratives

    Hello,

    Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. I'm looking to replace our current sofa, and my shopping efforts have taken me in a number of directions. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, so I'm looking for some advice. Apologies in advance for the long winded post to follow.

    Ultimately, I'd like to buy from a known quantity (i.e. Hancock and Moore, American Leather, etc) but I have not found a design from those companies that matches what I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is all in a design I've been in love with for years, the Restoration Hardware Lancaster Sofa. It is a traditional, deep seating sofa with the exact cushion density/sink-in quality I'm looking for.

    That said, I've been unsure about the quality from RH. Though they indicate hardwood, corner block re-inforced frames and 8-way hand tied suspension, quality Moore + Giles leather, etc ... I'm hesitant to trust a lifestyle brand like RH. Additionally, though this sofa has dropped in price around $2k in the last 3-4 years, it is still overpriced at around $3900 with tax+shipping.

    As a possible alternative, I've found a number of companies that make this same design (whether they are admittedly knock-offs or work with the "original designer" is up for debate) but claim higher quality. There are many of these (BariLeatherFurniture, Casco Bay Furniture, and others), some that offer 8-way, some that offer the foam-core down encased cushions, but none yet that offer both.

    The most promising company I've found so far in this design is LeatherGroups.com. The design is practically identical, the leather is the same Moore+Giles leather, the cushion construction is the same if not better, and the frame construction sounds solid. I've had a lot of back and forth with sales including additional pictures and detailed discussions about their products, and they sound like a reputable company, but there is little feedback out there on them which makes me hesitant to order. As mentioned above, I've yet to find the cushion and suspension combo I'd like, and these folks seem to use sinuous instead of 8-way (though I'm still waiting on confirmation on what their suspension is, though it is safe to say it likely isn't 8-way if it isn't stated as such).

    Here's their page on the sofa:
    https://www.leathergroups.com/cart/c...ofa-p-452.html

    So, after all that .. I suppose I'm looking for some advice from those out there that know furniture construction and how to spot quality. How does this product from LeatherGroups.com strike you? There's a video there for the watching @ the bottom of the page. Would you feel confident ordering this sofa? We're talking about $1000 price difference vs. RH, although returning it if I'm unhappy with it would cost me half of those savings. RH would take theirs back w/o charge.

    My concerns are:

    - unknown reliability/business reputation of alternative company
    - buying a sofa without sitting on it / inspecting it in person first
    - sinuous vs. 8-way hand tied suspension

    All and any feedback in this matter is welcomed.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chesterfield, MO
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: Restoration Hardware Sofa & Alteratives

    If you do a search for Restoration Hardware or Lancaster you will get a few hits on threads where they've been discussed before. I think Duane has recommended a Bradington-Young sofa that was similar and the H&M Member sofa (but that doesn't sit as deep). You could try the Parisian too - not sure on depth of that one. And I think there was a Leathercraft model that he liked as well that looked similar to the Parisian. Try the search and see what you come up with. There's a wealth of information here, you just have to spend a little time digging for what you need. You'll most likely end up looking for hours like the rest of us. I started out looking at RH & Casco Bay and gave up after about a day. I think there's better stuff out there.

    I don't think RH is the best quality or the worst, but depending on how long you want it to last and what your budget is, it might work for you. Good luck!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Restoration Hardware Sofa & Alteratives

    Quote Originally Posted by kmarcantel View Post
    Try the search and see what you come up with. There's a wealth of information here, you just have to spend a little time digging for what you need. You'll most likely end up looking for hours like the rest of us. I started out looking at RH & Casco Bay and gave up after about a day. I think there's better stuff out there.
    Hmm... I'll try the search again, I attempted such before and came up with nothing on RH at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by kmarcantel View Post
    I don't think RH is the best quality or the worst, but depending on how long you want it to last and what your budget is, it might work for you. Good luck!
    Yeah, I don't think RH will be horrible by any means, I'm just confident that the price isn't justified. I also know the RH model is made in China now, which is of some concern.

    If I go with this design, right now it is more likely to be the LeatherGroups version. But, as my OP clearly states, I have some roadblocks there right now too.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Restoration Hardware Sofa & Alteratives

    I did search again and found the previous discussions. Thanks.

    Unfortunately, none of the suggested designs (and none I've seen shopping on my own) come close to the design of the Lancaster, in my opinion. This may mean I'm stuck with RH or LeatherGroups if I want to get that style and that seating depth in the same sofa. I'm really fond of the leather they both use, as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    Posts
    7,560

    Default Re: Restoration Hardware Sofa & Alteratives

    Quote Originally Posted by greenlander View Post
    The most promising company I've found so far in this design is LeatherGroups.com. The design is practically identical, the leather is the same Moore+Giles leather, the cushion construction is the same if not better, and the frame construction sounds solid. I've had a lot of back and forth with sales including additional pictures and detailed discussions about their products, and they sound like a reputable company, but there is little feedback out there on them which makes me hesitant to order. As mentioned above, I've yet to find the cushion and suspension combo I'd like, and these folks seem to use sinuous instead of 8-way (though I'm still waiting on confirmation on what their suspension is, though it is safe to say it likely isn't 8-way if it isn't stated as such).
    I watched the video, they seemed to be all about their cushions and its not very professional (watch Hancock and Moore's video if you want to see one done right). They don't tell us where this is made, other than the leather is Italian, and I can't see the frame, webbing, or springs on their site. My guess (and its just a guess) is that its mediocre. If a maker is using solid hardwood frames and 8-way hand-tied, you can be sure they will brag about it.
    Duane Collie
    Please Ask ALL Questions in the Forum
    Private Messages (PM's) are for Sample Requests and Placing Orders

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    Posts
    7,560

    Default Re: Restoration Hardware Sofa & Alteratives

    Here's the H&M variant. This is a BIG sofa that's heavy, and expensive relative to the price from the other companies. But with H&M you know its built right and for the long haul:

    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1494
    Duane Collie
    Please Ask ALL Questions in the Forum
    Private Messages (PM's) are for Sample Requests and Placing Orders

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Restoration Hardware Sofa & Alteratives

    Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I watched the video, they seemed to be all about their cushions and its not very professional (watch Hancock and Moore's video if you want to see one done right). They don't tell us where this is made, other than the leather is Italian, and I can't see the frame, webbing, or springs on their site. My guess (and its just a guess) is that its mediocre. If a maker is using solid hardwood frames and 8-way hand-tied, you can be sure they will brag about it.
    Thanks for having a look. According to the specs, the frame is solid hardwood w/ corner block reinforcements. This is what one is looking for, no? The salesman indicated to me that it is made in the US at their production facility in CA.

    Those cushions aren't a plus? That's a drag to hear. I'll have to check out the Hancock and Moore video. I was actually happy w/ what they show of their cushions, but of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about. That is also very similar to how the cushions are on the RH Lancaster.

    The leather is Moore and Giles, which I thought was commonly known (and is an 80 year old Lynchburg, VA company).

    I'm waiting on more info on the suspension and some photos. Hopefully the result is positive, although I'm definitely not expecting 8-way hand tied as we agree that would be stated quite clearly. I'll see if I can get some photos of the frame construction as well.

    For $2900, if the frame is solid and the suspension turns out to be good (although not hand tied), is that quality representative of price? Or is this likely to turn out to be a poor decision?

    Had a look at the H&M model. It's hard to visualize a comparison between that and the Lancaster given the leather difference and nail/tack trimming (or whatever they are properly called). Measurements look similar though. What this model price at (feel free to PM if that is how you commonly give prices).

    Thanks again for your reply.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    Posts
    7,560

    Default Re: Restoration Hardware Sofa & Alteratives

    Solid Hardwood Frame is Good!

    Cushions are standard production units, neither exceptional or poor quality. Just average.

    Moore and Giles is just a leather supplier, all hides are imported as there are no USA tanneries (all closed in 2008). So that name doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

    8-Way Hand-tied is the gold standard. And the most expensive to produce.

    Value for $ 2,900? I can't really say unless I had a look at that sofa up close and personal. Sorry.

    H&M Settlement will not be quite double the price of that one. So its considerably more dollars, but its high premium, whereas this one is mid-level from what i can see. Frankly, with that huge inside depth I'd want a super good suspension, otherwise a sofa like that will be pocketing and puddling within the first couple of years. $ 3K is no bargain if the sofa is unusable after a few years....it all depends on the spring system and how they install the supports.





    Quote Originally Posted by greenlander View Post
    Thanks for having a look. According to the specs, the frame is solid hardwood w/ corner block reinforcements. This is what one is looking for, no? The salesman indicated to me that it is made in the US at their production facility in CA.

    Those cushions aren't a plus? That's a drag to hear. I'll have to check out the Hancock and Moore video. I was actually happy w/ what they show of their cushions, but of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about. That is also very similar to how the cushions are on the RH Lancaster.

    The leather is Moore and Giles, which I thought was commonly known (and is an 80 year old Lynchburg, VA company).

    I'm waiting on more info on the suspension and some photos. Hopefully the result is positive, although I'm definitely not expecting 8-way hand tied as we agree that would be stated quite clearly. I'll see if I can get some photos of the frame construction as well.

    For $2900, if the frame is solid and the suspension turns out to be good (although not hand tied), is that quality representative of price? Or is this likely to turn out to be a poor decision?

    Had a look at the H&M model. It's hard to visualize a comparison between that and the Lancaster given the leather difference and nail/tack trimming (or whatever they are properly called). Measurements look similar though. What this model price at (feel free to PM if that is how you commonly give prices).

    Thanks again for your reply.
    Duane Collie
    Please Ask ALL Questions in the Forum
    Private Messages (PM's) are for Sample Requests and Placing Orders

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Restoration Hardware Sofa & Alteratives

    Hmm.. that is considerably more for the H&M. Not to mention it would be sight unseen as I can't imagine I'm going to find that sofa in a comparable antique hand-rubbed style brown leather finish anywhere nearby, considering the unlikelihood that I could even find that sofa on display anywhere. So we're talking about a big, expensive, custom order that is mine even if I don't like it, eh?

    Boy, this isn't easy.

    Can you point me to the H&M video of their cushion construction you referred to? I can't find it on their website.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    Posts
    7,560

    Default Re: Restoration Hardware Sofa & Alteratives

    Pretty much, yeah! What can I say? Probably 3/4's of the folks on this forum bought that way!

    The video is right on the home page at www.hancockandmoore.com. Says "VIEW VIDEO" ..... or click this link:

    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/video.asp
    Duane Collie
    Please Ask ALL Questions in the Forum
    Private Messages (PM's) are for Sample Requests and Placing Orders

Similar Threads

  1. Oh no. $3200+ kitchen table from Restoration Hardware is Made in China.
    By violet*tendencies in forum Wood Case Goods, and Chairs
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-05-2014, 01:21 PM
  2. Hancock& Moore # 4275 Restoration Sofa i n Columbia Coffee
    By drcollie in forum Hancock and Moore PHOTOS only
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-16-2011, 11:38 PM
  3. Question about Restoration Hardware loveseats
    By woof37 in forum The Lobby
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 01:21 PM
  4. Need Help With Outdoor Upholstered Furniture Restoration
    By MetsFan1974 in forum Repairs / Upkeep / Reupholster / Slipcover
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-24-2010, 12:14 PM
  5. Restoration - Water Damage
    By drcollie in forum Repairs / Upkeep / Reupholster / Slipcover
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-03-2009, 01:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •