Quote Originally Posted by organic_smallhome View Post
Do you happen to know the correct mix of vinegar and salt?
Sorry, but I wing it. There's probably a slight reaction between the salt and vinegar or lemon juice, but I think of the salt as an abrasive. You don't need a lot of it. Salt and acids are corrosive, so start small, rinse and dry well.

My Cuprinox copper pots and pans are modern, so I have a really good idea of how thick the metals are that I'm cleaning. The two au gratin pans that are "table" rather than "professional" have brass handles. I cut a lemon in half and sprinkle salt on it. Presto - an biological scrubby! If a pot is a mess, I clean it first with soap, etc., then sprinkle the salt on it and scrub with a vinegar soaked terry cloth. Oh, heck. I've even poured vinegar directly on a saute pan, but it's not very efficient.

I don't have any idea how thick your brass is, so I'd start with a little lemon (or vinegar) and a tiny bit of salt on a soft terry cloth in an inconspicuous spot. Scrub, rinse and buff. You can adjust up or down from there. It is a lot slower than commercial cleaners.

If you decide that you want a commercial cleaner Red Bear Copper and Brass powder is a good compromise. Only one store cookware store here carries it, but you can order it online. The shine isn't quite as mellow looking as with the biological cleaners, but it doesn't result is that stripped look that you get with Twinkle or have the solvent fragrance of Brasso.