Thread: Leather Alternative

Default Leather Alternative

A couple times a year I will get a request for 'waterproof' leather, either because of pets or due to very hard use, or sometimes incontinent folks in the home. While most leather can take the occasional water spillage with no issues, it cannot tolerate long term moisture saturation (such as sitting on a sofa with a very wet bathing suit watching TV for three hours).

The medical industry does not use leather furniture for that reason as well.

But there is an interest in high-end leather-look coverings, and there are some products on the market that are very close to looking and feeling like leather. This is one such product that is available through Hancock and Moore as a Grade H fabric. Thought some would be interested in seeing photos and description of it.

Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  190.3 KB
    Name:  001.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  157.3 KB
    Name:  002.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  141.6 KB
    Duane Collie
    Please Ask ALL Questions in the Forum
    Private Messages (PM's) are for Sample Requests and Placing Orders

Default Re: Leather Alternative

Can I tell you just how thrilled I am to learn about this?!?! I don't use leather products, but have always wished that a both durable and beautiful eco-friendly alternative would magically appear. Thrilled, thrilled, thrilled. Have you seen a piece in person, Duane? Is this covering more expensive than either leather or fabric might be? Thanks so much for passing along the information!

As a matter of fact, I have seen it. Here's a piece that came through the store a couple of years ago. Like most things, the good stuff is not inexpensive, comparable to high end fabric or mid-grade leather in price.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ighlight=vinyl
    Duane Collie

Thank you. The one in your photo is sporting actual vinyl, right? Not the new "Brisa"?

Correct! The 'Brisa' is the latest and the greatest. Its much better. See the brown "Buckskin" swatch on the one sample? The Large one? Its EXCELLENT....
    Duane Collie