Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Room Layout and Picture

Hybrid View

aluebcke Guest

Default Re: Great Room Layout and Picture

We've decided on two settlement sofas, one 100" wide and the other 84" wide (if it's not too much to increase the width of the loveseat by 10" or so).

A few more questions on the leather:
    * Equestrian truffle: The 4196 on H&M's site is in this leather (read this on the forum). But the sample I have looks a bit less grey, and is a warmer brown (maybe a hint of red). Have you seen a sofa in this leather, and does it have a grey tinge? The sample I have is very soft. Will the equestrian be soft and supple on the sofa? I don't want a stiff leather. Special effects = 2, so will it be pretty uniform or will it have some variation in color? Also, the leather in the pictures looks pebbled...how pebbled can I expect equestrian to be?
    * Atticus java and sable: seems to show scratches more than the equestrian and aspen. Is this typical? It also seems a little stiff compared to the others on our list. Will it be stiff on a sofa?
    * Aspen tobacco: Does it have a "finished" look to it? Is it shiny? How does it compare to antelope in the level of slickness/shine?
    * Bari saddle: The color looks very uniform for a special effects = 3. How much variation can I expect?
    * I tested olive oil on the equestrian and aspen and it soaked in....but they're serviceability = 2. I used the small memo samples, so could they just be bad samples? I've read that they're pretty impervious to staining.

The five above are our first picks (not in any particular order). I cannot find any pictures on the forum of the atticus java, atticus sable, aspen tobacco, or bari saddle. Do you happen to have a sofa or chair in these leathers in your store?

We're also still considering capri and antelope....

I love the color variation in this leather:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/atta...6&d=1284411643

Just enough but not too much (like the capri tobacco is too blotchy). Will I get this type of variation in any of the five options above?
    Last edited by aluebcke; 11-20-2011 at 05:58 PM.

I have a call into H&M to quote the 4191 and add 10" to it.....

* Always go by samples for color, never the photos! I've done the Equestrian Truffle color but I can't recall specifics hues, sorry. Yes, its a nice soft and supple hide, I do like it. Its not a pure luxury hide like Capri, but its still excellent. It has a pleasing tone to the leather, not monochromatic, but not aggressively mottled, either. I'd say grain texture (pebbling) is evident, but not 'bumpy'.

* Atticus is a waxed leather, so yes, its a bit stiffer until time wears it in (several years use)

* Aspen does not have the typical 'finished leather' look to it, nor is it particularly shiny. On a scale of 1 to 10 with "10" being pure shiny glazed and "1" being dead flat, I'd give it a 4.5.

* Not much variation in Bari

* You should not see Olive Oil soaking into either Equestrian or Aspen. If the oil was put near the sides of the swatch, its soaking in from the cut where the leather was die-cut to make the samples. There's no barrier on the edges. Make sure the tests are on the surface only and not near the edges of the samples..

All the photos of pieces I have are on the forum, I photo every thing that comes through the store (unless its raining!)

Variations are going to occur in any natural product. You can count on it. We have a saying in the trade "If you don't want to see variations - buy vinyl".

Black Friday Sale is announced...so now the pressure is REALLY on, Amanda <g>
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

aluebcke Guest

Thanks Duane.

Based on your answers, I'm eliminating Atticus and Bari. I don't want a stiff hide, and I want some color variation (don't want a leather that looks flat color-wise).

Good to hear I'll see variation in all the hides....love the Ryan Chesnut swivel chair pictures on the forum (with the darker streaks evident in the leather).

A few follow up questions:
    * I think I read that the Equestrian is more rough-looking, and I think that will work with the Settlement sofas (they seem more casual to me than the Sundance). As long as it's not rough-feeling, and soft/supple as you mention, I think it will work nicely and pair well with the Settlement sofas. Your thoughts?

* How would you rate Equestrian, Capri, and Antelope on your 1-10 "shininess" scale? I have samples but want to get your feel since I know that the samples can vary significantly from the final product.

Can you please order dealer sized samples for me in the Equestrian Truffle and Aspen Tobacco? I'm not sure if I asked you for these yet, but it would help.

I saw your note on the Black Friday sale. Yeah!! I still have a few days to decide....no pressure.

Actually, I'm feeling pretty good. We're set on the sofa selection, and have only 4 leather samples on our "short list" (equestrian truffle, capri butternut, antelope nugget, and aspen tobacco). I'm leaning pretty heavily toward the Equestrian, though. I love the Capri butternut, but the Equestrian will give us better protection with the two kids and the dog (although they're pretty well-behaved, accidents do happen).

And, I love a burnished hide for the author chair....so I'm thinking Weston Cane Burnished will pair well with the Equestrian Truffle? Your opinion?

Still thinking about the Nile Croc Burnished for the ottomans, too.

OK! Custom charge on the Settlement Loveseat to take it out an additional 10" - $ 1,050

Shiny Scale:

Capri: 3
    Equestrian: 4.5
    Antelope: 4.5

I can get you samples, but you probably will not get them in time to take advantage of the Black Friday sale....still want them?

Equestrian Truffle and Weston Cane Burnished together? They'll be OK, but not my first choice (see photo, chair is in Weston Cane Burnished, sample is the Truffle). What would I pick with the Truffle? I'd get Equestrian Desert to go on the Author chair....

Name:  eqest.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  160.3 KB
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Thanks for the picture and custom pricing! And for the shiny scale....good to see the four non-capri choices aren't too shiny.

You're right, the Equestrian truffle and weston cane burnished in your picture don't go that well together. But the Equestrian sample I have is a deep brown with just a hint of red. The sample in the picture looks very red. Is it really that red, or is it the lighting? Is that the Equestrian Dessert sample peeking out behind the Equestrian truffle sample? I like it.

I believe the Tower sofa (4196) on H&M's site is in the Equestrian Truffle, as is the Tower sofa on the forum picture above. Can you please confirm? These both look more brown than red.

Do you think the Nile Croc Burnished will go with the Equestrian Truffle or the Capri butternut? Still love that idea for the ottomans.

And please remind me of the cost to do down filled cushions on the seat and back? I think I read that you can get the down "extra full", to avoid some of the "puddling" look. What are your thoughts on this? Will the "extra full" down wrapped cushions still be more comfortable than the standard cores, and help to avoid some of the puddling of the regular down filled?

Oh yeah, forgot this one: You can hold on the samples. I definitely want to order during the sale and doubt I'd get the samples prior to Friday.
    Last edited by aluebcke; 11-22-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: revised questions

aluebcke Guest

Duane, I sent you a PM asking for a custom quote on the Sundance. Please don't miss it.

Before I give up on the Sundance completely, I'd like to know the cost to do one in a 96"Wx50" deep version.

I'm down to two leathers: Equestrian truffle and Capri butternut. Really like both....the Equestrian more for the protection; the Capri more for the luxury feel.

I've revised my previous post....removed questions that aren't relevant until we finalize Sundance or Settlement.

H&M has to compute that one....they have a mod to 96" which adds $ 975, but has to check with production to see about going 50" Deep. Basically to do both length AND depth you're scratch building a one of a kind sofa, its going to be costly because every spec has to change when we do both dimensions. I should hear back tomorrow from them...
    Duane Collie

Sitting down? To mod a Sundance to 50" deep and 96" length will add $ 1,950 to the price. Kind of like I thought it might.
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Hmmm....I was hoping for less, but it's really not that bad compared to the Settlements.

Two settlements (with the loveseat increased by 10" Wide) are actually about $500 more than two sundances (one 84" and the modified 84"). And I'm getting about the same square footage with either the settlements or sundances. So on a cost/sq ft basis, they're really not that different.

I've put together a spreadsheet (I did mention I'm OCD, right?) with our options and hopefully we can decide soon.

I'm down to two leathers: Capri butternut and Equestrian truffle. How do you think they would look together?

And do you think they'll work with the top of the ottomans in Nile Croc Burnished?

The three samples I have of the above leathers look really good together.

Have a great Thanksgiving!! I'm sure you'll be busy Friday/Sat.

The Settlement comes with (4) leather pillows, so that easily makes up the price difference.

I can't say I'm crazy about the Butternut/Truffle combo. From two aspects. One is the texture difference. If you get that Capri in there, you won't like your Equestrian so much...really. The other is colors, the butternut has an amber/orange tint to it, that clashes with the Truffle color somewhat. Better to change one or the other. The Truffle wants a pure tan, no amber-orange hues. That's just my call on it, certainly its not the end all of decorating advice.

Nile Croc should work with either!
    Duane Collie