Thread: I think you're convincing me leather is the way

jimmyj Guest

Default I think you're convincing me leather is the way

What a site! I'm learning what I need to know here. I do have a few questions regarding leather sofas in the $2500 range (is that possible?). Do you suggest B-Y or is there a budget level H&M that's in this range too?. I also see Taylor King being promoted in fabric, what about in leather?. I scrolled through the forums for TK leather to no avail, I'm really after the best value from the mid-upper brands . Finding pricing/ value lines within these brands is tough. Help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by jimmyj; 03-21-2015 at 10:19 PM.

Default Re: I think your convincing me leather is the way

Here is an example of what is available on Craigslist with an asking price just under $2K. This happens to be on the south-east side of Columbus, OH. I know you were thinking "New" but some folks have found bargains within the top quality brands. This is a relatively new H&M Sofa...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01313_1WdZB4Dq9Yv_300x300.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	7034

There is also a nice H&M Leather and wood Sofa (Used) on eBay right now located in PA. for just over $2K.
    Last edited by wisejd; 03-22-2015 at 07:53 AM.

You can get a Bradington Young leather sofa as well as some McKinley Leather sofas in the $ 2,500 range if you shop the right dealer, such as my store. Hancock and Moore will be out of that price segment. Taylor King is a fabric house that offers leather, but its not going to be price-friendly. Best bang for the buck will be B-Y or the American Headliner promotion in McKinley leather.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jimmyj Guest

Thanks for responding. I think new is the probable way to go. My wife will be fussy about the leather color and grade and I will be about the cushion fill and firmness. There are a couple B-Y and one Mckinley dealer in the area (Grand Rapids, MI), but I'll be more inclined to order from you as you have taught me everything I know and I don't mind doing touch-ups if necessary.
    I really want to thank you for the time you all put into this website to educate us. It's time to do my homework and get the particulars down for an order. I appreciate your expert advice!
    Last edited by jimmyj; 03-22-2015 at 10:25 PM. Reason: more to say

needstuff Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wisejd View Post
    Here is an example of what is available on Craigslist with an asking price just under $2K. This happens to be on the south-east side of Columbus, OH. I know you were thinking "New" but some folks have found bargains within the top quality brands. This is a relatively new H&M Sofa...

There is also a nice H&M Leather and wood Sofa (Used) on eBay right now located in PA. for just over $2K.
    IMO one has to be really careful buying a used sofa. During my own sofa hunt I looked at many of them. A high percentage needed to be reupholstered; had problems with springs, etc. I remember I went to a consignment store in PA that advertised many sofas, by good makers, for sale. Literally every sofa I sat on there needed to be reupholstered, or something.

chris Guest

Default Re: I think you're convincing me leather is the way

hey jimmyj, I'm new here too looking for info on leather.... just a heads up on my Kodiak sofa in columbia leather purchase. We love it now but took some time. Wife (5') and I (6'1") thought it super comfy in store, we made 3 trips before purchase. Once it was delivered (May 2014) it had room filling chemical smell for 2 weeks, uncomfortable to sit in, and hot. My shoulders are supported but if my neck touched the leather it would sweat within minutes (both of us also had issues with our back and bottoms being uncomfortable and very warm, despite a cooler house with central AC 72F). As November rolled in PA, I guess cushions broke-in b/c things got a lot more comfy and cozy (heat at 70F)... I doze off sitting up and no neck pain! What concerns me is what I read on this site about sticky leather: "Good leathers don't feel that way, but heavily top-coated ones on cheap furniture (like the ones at Costco) will. When you buy better leathers, they adapt to your body rapidly and are cozy in the winter, and comfortable in the summer." 7-22-2010. I guess columbia is a cheaper leather for summer use? I guess you should stay away from H&M class1 leathers? My next sofa I'm thinking of going class3, unprotected. Maybe someone could clarify H&M leather classes as they pertain to ambient temperature. Good luck with your sofa search and I hope its an instant success!

Leather 'classes' or 'grades' are just price categories, nothing more. GR 1 is the least expensive, GR 5 is the most, and there is an average price increase of around 15% per step up in price category from one to another. There really are not 'summer' or 'winter' leathers, but any leather with a topcoat will be stickier and 'warmer' than the more naked leathers. The current top of the line naked luxury leathers are Arizona, Capri and Quintessence. all GR 4.
    Duane Collie

chris Guest

Ok. Thanks for info.... The GR4 leathers are described for "elegant living", but with a serviceability of 3. Would you say they should be fine for "less elegant" popcorn/iced tea movie night or a "tame" chips&dip /beer football weekend? For more $ and getting top of the line European leather that will give 15-20 years of ultimate (including summer) seating comfort seems worth it to me - if I don't have to worry over a little "spilled milk". Thanks again for all your info your have posted!!!!

There's a misconception among many that price grade reflects a certain kind of leather characteristic....and it does not. A price grade reflects what the manufacturer of the furniture has to pay for a hide from the tannery, nothing more. There are price grade 4 leathers that are bombproof, and others in GR 4 that are fragile.

The more naked a leather, the less likely it is to reject spills and stains. Serviceability indexes run from 1 to 4, with 1 being commercial, heavily topcoated (there are no 1's in the H&M lineup), 2 being topcoated, 3 being naked or very lightly barriered, and 4 being fragile (such as nubuck). Lifestyle comes into play in your selection, For lots of eating/drinking on a piece you probably should go with a "2", topcoated leather. Leathers such as Arizona, Capri, Quintessence, are luxury hides that should be treated as such - you know what you are buying and should be cognizant that they can absorb oily and acidic spills. There are barrier creme products that can prevent that as well, but that's another topic.....
    Duane Collie