Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Vanguard really who's making Anthropologie's "shoddy" furniture??

Default Is Vanguard really who's making Anthropologie's "shoddy" furniture??

I'm not gaga about Anthro's clothes or their furniture...I've only seen 1 or 2 recreations of classic mid century modern pieces that caught my eye. However, their Chesterfield sofas & similar pieces online do look quite beautiful. And, with a store at our local mall, I've seen several of their pieces up close: looked pretty normal to me. A wee bit overpriced, but none the less, nice looking.

Duane, I know you've said before they have some of the absolute worst made furniture you've ever seen & I don't disagree with that(you'd know better than I how it's made,) but it all looks decent. And, their fabric selections are pretty snazzy...especially their velvets.

I was just reading this article that states Obama ordered a settee from Anthropologie in '09 for his daughters & Anthro either told The White House at the time, or someone, somewhere heard Vanguard is who makes the settee Obama ordered.

Caveat: this article is a total fluff piece, without much meat to it. But, because of this order from the Obama's with Anthro/Vanguard, this article is presuming Vanguard must therefore also make the other sofas, settees & chairs Anthro sells.

Just wondering if anyone knew if this is true? What quality level is Vanguard & are they, indeed based outta North Carolina & make their furniture there? Anthro states on their sofa product descriptions: "quality made in the USA." Lol, Duane's already stated there's nothing quality about their stuff...so, this became kinda an interesting riddle to me. Naturally, because of the subject matter, I came here to ask

http://upholsteryclub.com/anthropologie-unplugged/
    Last edited by Asomer; 04-17-2016 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Grammatical & spelling errors drive me bonkers LOL

Jenny Guest

Default Re: Is Vanguard really who's making Anthropologie's "shoddy" furniture??

Oh. I didn't know Anthropologie made crappy furniture. It looks so pretty in their stores, I just never considered them because I figured they would be prohibitively expensive. Boo. There's no one to fit our styles Andrea.

By the way, that velvet chesterfield :P I wouldn't go yellow, but dammmnnnn

Default Re: Is Vanguard really who's making Anthropologie's "shoddy" furniture??

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Oh. I didn't know Anthropologie made crappy furniture. It looks so pretty in their stores, I just never considered them because I figured they would be prohibitively expensive. Boo. There's no one to fit our styles Andrea.

By the way, that velvet chesterfield :P I wouldn't go yellow, but dammmnnnn
    Lol, that whole store is a bit too bohemian for me(ssh: I bought a pair of $90 boyfriend jeans there last year LOL)

Their sofas & chairs look pretty. You're right tho: NOT in banana yellow velvet, but their other velvet colors are gorgeous(like, the aubergine...ooh, I could find a place to put that!) Duane's told stories about being dragged in there with his wife & while she was checking out the clothes, etc he took a very good look at the furniture & said it was the worst build quality he's probably ever seen!!

That's a pretty strong statement to make. So, I googled "Anthropologie furniture quality" & that fluff piece came up. I read it & the Obama's buying their daughters the settee didn't strike me as odd. But, hearing Vanguard makes that settee for Anthro & thus, probably makes their other seating pieces did peak my interest.

I'm not familiar with Vanguard, only that its apparently American(North Carolina,) made. Just wondering if anyone on the forum owns Vanguard furniture, or is more familiar with the brand to give some insight.

I do however, LOVE Anthro's metal Campaign canopy bed Frontgate has a classier, less "flea market find" looking Campaign style canopy bed. Lol, I haven't had a canopy bed since I was a preteen...that's prob a sign I'm too old to go back down that road! Haha

Just 'cause you're President doesn't mean you know Furniture!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Just 'cause you're President doesn't mean you know Furniture!
    Where's the "Like" button on this thing?? Lol

Jenny Guest

Such a pity. I just went through Anthropologies' website, and I just LOVE some of their pieces. It's such a shame that they are heirloom price with landfill quality, because they have a few accent pieces that I would just love to have for a few years. I love that boho but still traditional vibe.

I want all of these:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37490349_001_b.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	8471Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36158798_010_b.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	8472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36128569_045_b.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	8473

Jenny Guest

And these too. And that's just page 1 of 7. BOO!

Name:	37630456_070_b10.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	8474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36018273_020_b.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	8475Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37990454_045_b.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	8477

I have to keep chanting in my mind: "I'm too poor to buy junk."

(Btw: What style is this? Because whatever it is, I like it)

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    And these too. And that's just page 1 of 7. BOO!

Name:	37630456_070_b10.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	8474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36018273_020_b.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	8475Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37990454_045_b.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	8477

I have to keep chanting in my mind: "I'm too poor to buy junk."

(Btw: What style is this? Because whatever it is, I like it)
    I like that coffee table(?) in the middle! It's that live edge look paired with brass legs...a mix of industrial/rustic & glam: what's not to love??

The tufted velvet sofa above looks pretty snazzy too, but I've already stated their velvets at least appear to be quality fabrics.

That chair on casters looks like something you'd find in an English country house, so I'll go with traditional style on that. The coffee table & Mongolian fur dining armchairs would probably be considered bohemian glam...thus, falling into both traditional & modern.

Jenny Guest

I think it's actually a dining table. I just love the gold legs. I wish I could just buy a pair of the legs along and attach it to my table top of choice!

Oh haha, yea guess it could be a dining table. It just looks so diminutive in that pic