I saw a Hancock and Moore sofa today that looks like it's got water damage - the nailheads around the rear, bottom corners were rusty and I felt along the underside of the sofa and the wood bar going from the front to back on the one side felt like it might be rotting away - made a crinkly, crackling sound as I ran my hand along it.

My question is, should the water damage be a concern? Does this compromise the integrity of the sofa and it's stability? Other than the back corners, the rest of the sofa looks like it's in pretty good shape.

Also, is the damage something that can be repaired? The sofa is listed for $250 so I figured I might be able to spend a little bit more to try to get it into better shape.

I asked the people selling it about the damage but they were unsure as to the cause as their story is they are selling the sofa for a friend who's moved from the area.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'll try to attach some pictures - the right rear corner is very noticeably damaged with some of the leather having worn off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload-4.jpeg 
Views:	484 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	2772Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload-5.jpeg 
Views:	468 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	2773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload-3.jpeg 
Views:	490 
Size:	134.1 KB