Thread: More information on couches and furniture buying

Threaded View

heinzbitte Guest

Default More information on couches and furniture buying

Hello, I'm new here, and a I must say, this is the most detailed site online I've been able to find regarding furniture.

I'm looking to buy my first couch, and I'm having trouble finding the information I need. I was hoping someone would be able to help me with some (or maybe even all of my questions). I hope I'm not breaking any rules by just posting a bunch of questions, I tried to search this forum and elsewhere online. I also apologize for typing so much, feel free to call me a "windbag", you wouldn't be the first .

First of all, I'm a bigger guy, pushing 400 pounds. We will be the only two using the couch on a daily basis (no kids or pets). Just sitting/laying on them, what life should we expect to get out of a different qualities of couches? I know my weight puts extra stress on the furniture, but I think I make the salesmen I've spoken to uncomfortable when I bring it up.
    ---
    I've been looking at a Broyhill sectional that seems to be a reasonable price to me (2,000 pre tax for a 3 piece configuration) Here is the link-http://www.furniturebrands.com/content/uploads/broyhill/catalogs/6633-Tribeca-LR.pdf. I know they are considered lower-mid grade, but was wondering if I could get more information on why. It appears they are at least assembled in the US (I assume many parts are from other countries). It also looks like they use a combination of Solid Wood and Pressed wold, assembled in an interlocking format. The frame itself seems like it would be sturdy to me.
    They also use cushions with springs in them encased in foam. Can anyone speak to these? It seems like they would last longer than just foam, but I don't really know anything about that.
    I also realize they use sinuous spring on the bottom, and webbing on the back.
    --
    As for the sinuous springs, I know that is considered inferior quality, and I understand why. I just don't understand the specifics. Over time, will they begin to sag more? Is there a possibility that they will just snap one day? Or do they just tend to sag more when you sit on them, but sag the same amount over time.
    ----

I also looked at a sectional by Smith Brothers of Berne. It is around twice the price (just a little over 4,000 pre tax), but seems to be better constructed. The coils aren't 8 way tied, but seem to be of a similar quality. Here is a link on their construction - http://www.smithbrothersfurniture.co...uctionfeatures Does anyone know how this would compare to traditional 8 way hand tied coils? It seems to me it may hold up a bit better.

-----
    My current couch I'm using was an 8 way tied couch with jute webbing at the bottom. It seems to have been well constructed, and was a hand me down. The webbing ripped at the edges and the springs dropped down to the ground. The best estimate I was able to get was 800-1000 to repair and reupholster it (it's pretty long). I would also have another 500 dollars or so to reupholster the loveseat to match the fabrics. I haven't had anyone look at it in person yet, but those were the best estimates I could get on the phone.

I'm just worried about what is stopping the webbing from ripping again. Was it my weight that did it, or was it just due to the age of the couch?

--

To sum it up, I'm just not sure what my best move is, and don't feel like I have the knowledge to make an informed choice. Will the 2nd couch really last twice as long (or more) as the first couch? How long can I expect these couches to last (I know it's hard to say, but are there general time frames)? Also, I know Mr Collie doesn't sell either of these brands, so I'm not expecting exact answers.

Also, I had one last question about warranties. Smith brothers warranty says it covers the cushions, springs, and frame for the "lifetime of the product." Is there any tricky definition to that, or is it really for as long as I have the piece? Broyhill's warranty is only for 5 years for just parts for the frame and springs, and 3 year for the cushions. Also, the warranty only covers labor for one year for all of these pieces.
    How much value should I put into the warranty? It sounds like Broyhill really only expects 5 years out of theirs, while Smith Brothers expects much longer.

Sorry again for being so long-winded, but I appreciate any help that anyone could give.

Thanks!
    Last edited by heinzbitte; 12-29-2014 at 12:03 PM.