I'm very excited! Today I got all my hardware up and running, and software installed, for a new Point of Sale system for my store. All computers have fresh Operating systems in them (Vista) and every device works as intended.

We've been using hand-written invoices and sales slips since 1979, and my parents (who used to help in the store and were computer-adverse) objected to modernizing. They no longer come to the store (both now in their 80's) to work so I decided to invest in Quicken's Point Of Sale system. Comes with scanners, barcode makers, label printers, and more software than I can ever use. Once I get it set up and running, It should ease my paperwork load considerably, and it will track orders and inventory far better than the spreadsheets I now use. Best of all, year end inventory time and accuracy will improve be a factor of five. It will also have customer history in the program, so if you call me five years from now and want to know what leather and color you had on your H&M September sofa I can call it up in seconds.

I almost didn't want to come home from work tonight, I was having WAY too much fun exploring all this new software can do, and printing out barcodes, reading them with the scanners.....WOW.

Now the very tedious task will begin of entering every item in the store and printing a bar code for it. That's going to take a month of work.

I know, I know...boring for computer gru's, but for a non-IT guy I was pretty jazzed to finally get everything working today in spite of Vista 64 bit drivers.....