Quote Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Well, I spoke with a Hallagan dealer in Mass who had a few answers on the frame work.

Apparently they switched from solid hardwood to the Engineered Hardwood about a year and a half ago. I asked about the cost savings side to this decision. His response was that it was more of a practical issue explaining that the even consistancy (no knots etc) of the Engineered wood makes for better CNC cuts, therefore better fit. Probably a bit of both.

He was skeptical on this change, but has come to realize that it was not detrimental to the finished product. The only issue he had encountered was some leg breakage from roughly moved pieces. This has been resolved by making the ears of the legs longer and has not had any problems since.

This dealer carries Bradington-Young, Hancock and Moore, Highland House as well as Hallagan. For leather he would choose a more leather based outfit such as Bradington or even Hancock. But for fabric he would recommend Hallagan any day. This recommendation came when he knew that I was not in his area to buy from.

After a few calls where the sales people were still telling me about the solid hardwood, it was nice to finally find someone who knew of the change...and explained it a bit.

Sooooo, my choices of Hallagan, with Engineered Hardwood and eight way tied springs, or Smith with drop in spring system and solid maple frame that is corner blocked and doweled. Both have cost saving measures. Which one, if either, would be more detrimental.

Duane, you mentioned in an earlier post that either was decent in it's price point....does that still stand?
Looking at both companies I would say which ever one has a piece you find comfortable, like the look/style of, and find a Fabric that suits you.

I found an old smith brothers cutaway to show their construction methods on another website, not sure how current it is or if it's still accurate a dealer should be able to tell you though. Make sure to scroll down the page to see it.
http://www.grandhomefurnishings.com/smithbrothers.php