Thread: Looking for new furniture for front room

Threaded View

Us+2 ferts&theDog Guest

Default Looking for new furniture for front room

After weeks of lurking, and learning a lot, I'm looking for input regarding new furniture for our front room. I'm looking to replace 15+ year old fabric covered England sleeper sofa and double reclining loveseat with leather. As the sleeper function on the sofa has been used something like twice, I believe a stationary sofa will best suit our needs. The fly in the ointment comes with the loveseat...DH and I prefer to be attached at the hip (we're cute that way ) and are therefore not necessarily interested in separate chairs. DH loves the recliner however <sigh> and I'm resigned to getting him his own tilt-back chair as a compromise for his naps. Recliners are not practical due to our ferrets (we have 2) that use the arms of the recliners as a hidey hole (not to mention my fear about them getting caught in the recliner mechanism...but we've had ferrets for years without incident).

I keep reading about the comfort of the H&M Austin series but I prefer the aesthetics of the 2057 Grainger (I prefer the Grainger's legs over the Austin's bun foot along with the Grainger not having a T-cushion seat). Although I'm not keen on the bustle back (our current furniture is bustle backed and quite flattened at that), I'm willing to compromise on this for his chair in the interest of his comfort (he's worth it). I must admit that I had him sit in a tufted back chair by Mayo (link: http://www.mayofurniture.com/931.htm ) and, surprisingly, he thought it very comfy and thought he could nap in it easily. It is similar to the Author chair (which I adore) but I think it wold be too large for the space.

I vacillate between a sofa/loveseat combo or a sectional for the main seating. I'm not certain I like the idea of everyone sitting together on a sectional when we have company (I'm kinda fussy about who invades my personal space), but if I go with a sofa/loveseat set, with a chair for DH, I'm afraid I'm going to overpower my ~15'x16' room with so much furniture! Although clutter tends to accumulate, generally I'm more of a less is more type.

Originally I was thinking a single or two cushion seat but I've since learned that the fewer cushions on the seat, the more wing-effect lift (I don't know how to explain it otherwise) one has when someone sits...so 3 cushion it is, if a sofa. I like the looks of a tight back (we both like the looks of the 4487 McNary), but have also learned that, unless tufted, tight backs are not particularly comfortable for lounging. I do love the idea of replaceable cushion cores to maintain comfort as the years roll by. I also don't care for ornate legs. I like roll arms for comfort, but track arms for sleekness.

The problem with a sectional is DH, who sits on the right, absolutely must have a place to park his beer. With his sitting right, that would put him in the corner. I've suggested one of those sofa tables where the legs tuck in under the sofa, but they ain't very purty...although he is quite handy and he could build something (no place to put his beer would certainly be enough motivation to get that done!).

We live in our front room...watch TV, nap, eat, drink, be merry. The lab-mix dog does get on the furniture in our absence, although we have throws we put in place to prevent excessive soiling (lord how I loathe cleaning the sofa and loveseat, hence the transition to leather).

I'm considering no less than a semi-aniline cover, although I'm aware that a servicability of 2 would better suit our lifestyle. The post dwainw posted with the results of his testing a couple of leather swatches (http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...loveseat/page2) was a godsend to me. I worked with leather y-e-a-r-s ago in the apparel industry and I'm somewhat spoiled regarding the hand of leather. I'm prepared for the cleaning upkeep to go with a higher maintenance serviceability to get the feel I desire, after all I'm the one who wipes down the glass and chrome after every shower in our wetroom to keep it spot-free with our hard water...upping the leather cleaning from the recommended twice a year to four times a year should not be a big reach for me. I also prefer the character that arises as the less protected leather patinas with use and age.

If I went with a sofa/loveseat combination, I'm not necessarily interested in a series matched set but would like the furniture to play off each piece aesthetically. Nor am I interested in matching the leather covers. I would prefer each piece to stand alone while playing well with each other.

I've attached photos of our current layout and I have done a layout with the icovia planner, using Duane's login (file name: Childers current LR). I've also added a photo of our soapstone woodstove on our south wall and our north facing front room window (the windows were replaced last year and, yes, those are sheets in lieu of draperies so input on what to do about a window treatment is also welcome. We used to have 2" pretend wood blinds and hubby is not so keen on them again, he'd rather see sheers and drapes on a double rod).

I've also considered swapping the TV wall to the other side and floating (part of?) the furniture but I'm afraid that's going to encroach on traffic through the room.

I would appreciate any input fellow forum members would like to share. Hopefully I've not provided TMI.

Tammy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front window on N wall.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	1842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NW corner looking SE.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	1843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NE corner looking SW.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	1844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soapstone freestanding Woodstove.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	1845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SE corner looking NW.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	1846