Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Room Layout and Picture

aluebcke Guest

Default Re: Great Room Layout and Picture

We took a trip to Indiana today to sit in the Sundance 84"...to make a final decision on the size of the sofa (84" vs 110" and whether to increase the depth by 4").

I LOVE the look of the sofa, but honestly.....it looked too small for my husband when he stretched out on it (like a big guy laying on a kid-sized sofa). So, we really need a sofa that's longer than 84" and deeper than 24" (seat depth). And it seems a little silly (and costly) to customize the Sundance width (84" is too small and 110" is too wide) and depth.

Therefore, we're now considering doing the settlement or highlands sofa (although we'd have to increase the depth of the highland sofa by 3-4" and there's no highland loveseat). We want two sofas, and the settlement is offered in a loveseat size.

We're going to layout two settlements tomorrow as our #1 option. (I know it's a big sofa...we'll see how it lays out.)

Duane...I believe you recommended the settlement sofa as "the sofa" for my 6'7" husband. And I think you're right. At this point, I have to choose either comfort (96"W + deeper sofa) or style (sundance)....and I think we'll be happier if we choose comfort.

On the leather choices, I'm down (or up) to the following (in no particular order):
    1. Capri butternut - but I'm really not sure of the color
    2. Antelope saddle, nugget, or chino
    3. Equestrian truffle, color looks great on the sample, just the right brown (and I know Duane rates Equestrian highly)
    4. Aspen tobacco, like the color and the sample was very matte (but the leather felt rather rough)
    5. Bari saddle, super soft but slithtly pebbly
    6. Atticus java or sable, nice medium brown colors (java is a little darker)
    7. Kipling java, nice brown and not too shiny

Duane, can you please rate the leathers above on slickness/shininess? I don't want anything too shiny, and will probably rule out Capri since I'm not sure about the color for my room.

How soft would you rate aspen and bari? The aspen sample I saw was very rough. The bari sample was super soft (and I think it's a 4 for softenss). Is the bari very pebbled?

Any thoughts on how the author chair would look with either the settlement or highlands sofa? My husband definitely still wants his chair.

I'm sorry to switch gears at this point, but I want my husband to be able to enjoy the sofa, too.....and he did not look comfortable on the Sundance (although he said it would be fine).

Do you wake up in the middle of the night thinking about leather furniture, Amanda? Do you have all the classes and grades of H&M committed to memory by now? <G> I bet you could go into any local furniture store that carries H&M and know more about the product line than anyone in the store....<just teasing you a bit >

Yep, the Settlement is 'the one' for your tall husband, that one will fit him. We know it will fit in the house, and yes, its big, but not too big. The form design on it is simple, but if comfort is key - that may be exactly the right piece. You can make it fun by changing the leathers on the pillows (it comes with 4) or adding some custom nail trim patterns to the piece.

On leathers:

Capri Butternut is the leather everyone loves. It has an amber look to it, and will soften in tone as it comes inside vs the parking lot pictures you see here as reference. Harsh sunlight makes it look more orange than it really is.

Antelope: You can never go wrong with this series, its the best 'do all' leather in the line, if you can tolerate the price point.

Equestrian: Great hide, a bit more rough n' tumble looking/feeling than the others. Tailors thicker, too - its cut a little thicker.

Aspen: Sounds like the sample was made of scrap, its smooth and a good hide. We call it 'the poor man's Antelope', and a very good GR 2 alternative to the GR 4 Antelope

Bari: I like this hide. Don't sell much of it, but it sure comes out nice on the frames. Soft and lightly pebbled, not nearly as much as Portfolio.

Atticus: One of my top rated GR 2 non-protected leathers. Always a good look at a good price.

Kipling: Been in the line a long time now, a very nice hide though I think the Atticus is a bit superior in overall look and feel and texture.

The Author chair looks great with any Traditional sofa, no worries there.....

Switch gears as many times as need be <G>, the order is not yet placed!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

aluebcke Guest

Duane, yes I do dream about leather and sofas! It's really sad, because when it comes down to it, it's just furniture.

Tease away....my husband definitely does. I had to do some real arm twisting to get him to go to the furnitue store again (a 1 1/2 hour drive) and I was given a one hour limit. He said he and the kids would leave me at the one hour mark, but I think he was just joking.

The lady at the furniture store yesterday insisted I look at the Randall Allen line, since it was made in Vietnam (and much better than anything made in China). Although I said I'd never consider a sofa made in China, she insisted the Vietnamese-made Randall Allen was as good as the H&M. Hmmmm.....I wonder if I could get a second job there as I'm definitely qualified.

Thanks for the leather details. I'm sure I'll have more questions once we narrow it down a little. If I can get my husband to look at the samples just one more time....

aluebcke Guest

We've decided on two settlement sofas, one 100" wide and the other 84" wide (if it's not too much to increase the width of the loveseat by 10" or so).

A few more questions on the leather:
    * Equestrian truffle: The 4196 on H&M's site is in this leather (read this on the forum). But the sample I have looks a bit less grey, and is a warmer brown (maybe a hint of red). Have you seen a sofa in this leather, and does it have a grey tinge? The sample I have is very soft. Will the equestrian be soft and supple on the sofa? I don't want a stiff leather. Special effects = 2, so will it be pretty uniform or will it have some variation in color? Also, the leather in the pictures looks pebbled...how pebbled can I expect equestrian to be?
    * Atticus java and sable: seems to show scratches more than the equestrian and aspen. Is this typical? It also seems a little stiff compared to the others on our list. Will it be stiff on a sofa?
    * Aspen tobacco: Does it have a "finished" look to it? Is it shiny? How does it compare to antelope in the level of slickness/shine?
    * Bari saddle: The color looks very uniform for a special effects = 3. How much variation can I expect?
    * I tested olive oil on the equestrian and aspen and it soaked in....but they're serviceability = 2. I used the small memo samples, so could they just be bad samples? I've read that they're pretty impervious to staining.

The five above are our first picks (not in any particular order). I cannot find any pictures on the forum of the atticus java, atticus sable, aspen tobacco, or bari saddle. Do you happen to have a sofa or chair in these leathers in your store?

We're also still considering capri and antelope....

I love the color variation in this leather:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/atta...6&d=1284411643

Just enough but not too much (like the capri tobacco is too blotchy). Will I get this type of variation in any of the five options above?
    Last edited by aluebcke; 11-20-2011 at 05:58 PM.

I have a call into H&M to quote the 4191 and add 10" to it.....

* Always go by samples for color, never the photos! I've done the Equestrian Truffle color but I can't recall specifics hues, sorry. Yes, its a nice soft and supple hide, I do like it. Its not a pure luxury hide like Capri, but its still excellent. It has a pleasing tone to the leather, not monochromatic, but not aggressively mottled, either. I'd say grain texture (pebbling) is evident, but not 'bumpy'.

* Atticus is a waxed leather, so yes, its a bit stiffer until time wears it in (several years use)

* Aspen does not have the typical 'finished leather' look to it, nor is it particularly shiny. On a scale of 1 to 10 with "10" being pure shiny glazed and "1" being dead flat, I'd give it a 4.5.

* Not much variation in Bari

* You should not see Olive Oil soaking into either Equestrian or Aspen. If the oil was put near the sides of the swatch, its soaking in from the cut where the leather was die-cut to make the samples. There's no barrier on the edges. Make sure the tests are on the surface only and not near the edges of the samples..

All the photos of pieces I have are on the forum, I photo every thing that comes through the store (unless its raining!)

Variations are going to occur in any natural product. You can count on it. We have a saying in the trade "If you don't want to see variations - buy vinyl".

Black Friday Sale is announced...so now the pressure is REALLY on, Amanda <g>
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Thanks Duane.

Based on your answers, I'm eliminating Atticus and Bari. I don't want a stiff hide, and I want some color variation (don't want a leather that looks flat color-wise).

Good to hear I'll see variation in all the hides....love the Ryan Chesnut swivel chair pictures on the forum (with the darker streaks evident in the leather).

A few follow up questions:
    * I think I read that the Equestrian is more rough-looking, and I think that will work with the Settlement sofas (they seem more casual to me than the Sundance). As long as it's not rough-feeling, and soft/supple as you mention, I think it will work nicely and pair well with the Settlement sofas. Your thoughts?

* How would you rate Equestrian, Capri, and Antelope on your 1-10 "shininess" scale? I have samples but want to get your feel since I know that the samples can vary significantly from the final product.

Can you please order dealer sized samples for me in the Equestrian Truffle and Aspen Tobacco? I'm not sure if I asked you for these yet, but it would help.

I saw your note on the Black Friday sale. Yeah!! I still have a few days to decide....no pressure.

Actually, I'm feeling pretty good. We're set on the sofa selection, and have only 4 leather samples on our "short list" (equestrian truffle, capri butternut, antelope nugget, and aspen tobacco). I'm leaning pretty heavily toward the Equestrian, though. I love the Capri butternut, but the Equestrian will give us better protection with the two kids and the dog (although they're pretty well-behaved, accidents do happen).

And, I love a burnished hide for the author chair....so I'm thinking Weston Cane Burnished will pair well with the Equestrian Truffle? Your opinion?

Still thinking about the Nile Croc Burnished for the ottomans, too.

OK! Custom charge on the Settlement Loveseat to take it out an additional 10" - $ 1,050

Shiny Scale:

Capri: 3
    Equestrian: 4.5
    Antelope: 4.5

I can get you samples, but you probably will not get them in time to take advantage of the Black Friday sale....still want them?

Equestrian Truffle and Weston Cane Burnished together? They'll be OK, but not my first choice (see photo, chair is in Weston Cane Burnished, sample is the Truffle). What would I pick with the Truffle? I'd get Equestrian Desert to go on the Author chair....

Name:  eqest.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  160.3 KB
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Thanks for the picture and custom pricing! And for the shiny scale....good to see the four non-capri choices aren't too shiny.

You're right, the Equestrian truffle and weston cane burnished in your picture don't go that well together. But the Equestrian sample I have is a deep brown with just a hint of red. The sample in the picture looks very red. Is it really that red, or is it the lighting? Is that the Equestrian Dessert sample peeking out behind the Equestrian truffle sample? I like it.

I believe the Tower sofa (4196) on H&M's site is in the Equestrian Truffle, as is the Tower sofa on the forum picture above. Can you please confirm? These both look more brown than red.

Do you think the Nile Croc Burnished will go with the Equestrian Truffle or the Capri butternut? Still love that idea for the ottomans.

And please remind me of the cost to do down filled cushions on the seat and back? I think I read that you can get the down "extra full", to avoid some of the "puddling" look. What are your thoughts on this? Will the "extra full" down wrapped cushions still be more comfortable than the standard cores, and help to avoid some of the puddling of the regular down filled?

Oh yeah, forgot this one: You can hold on the samples. I definitely want to order during the sale and doubt I'd get the samples prior to Friday.
    Last edited by aluebcke; 11-22-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: revised questions

aluebcke Guest

Duane, I sent you a PM asking for a custom quote on the Sundance. Please don't miss it.

Before I give up on the Sundance completely, I'd like to know the cost to do one in a 96"Wx50" deep version.

I'm down to two leathers: Equestrian truffle and Capri butternut. Really like both....the Equestrian more for the protection; the Capri more for the luxury feel.

I've revised my previous post....removed questions that aren't relevant until we finalize Sundance or Settlement.

H&M has to compute that one....they have a mod to 96" which adds $ 975, but has to check with production to see about going 50" Deep. Basically to do both length AND depth you're scratch building a one of a kind sofa, its going to be costly because every spec has to change when we do both dimensions. I should hear back tomorrow from them...
    Duane Collie