Just came across this thread on my search for info on how to replace the mechanism. Do you have some basic high level instructions in terms of getting in there and how to go about it. I've got the mechanisms from BY but just need to figure out how to tackle/start this project.

Thanks so much.

-Nisi
Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
You need a new mechanism, not a repair. B-Y uses a Leggit and Platt mechanism, best in the industry but with high levels of use the bushings in the piece enlongate and wear out. When that happens the chair will no longer hold position, such as yours is doing. Call Bradington-Young customer service and give them your model number and they will send a new one to you - probably going to run about $ 100. They should sell to you direct, but if they want you to go through a dealer let me know and I'll get it for you. If you don't know or have the model number, you'll need to photo the recliner and mail it into them for ID.

Its a bolt-in mechanism, so the old comes out and you trash it entirely, put the new one in and you're good for ten more years. You can do this yourself if you're handy, but it will take a little bit of time.

Also, If the seat cushion is 'sacked' out, get a new insert at this time as well. Those will be at no charge from B-Y.