Thread: Pottery Barn Dining Table - Quality-Made in the USA?

Hybrid View

Ah yes, old Red (he's the owner of Great Windsor Chairs). I love to hear the stories of Red. He has a very nice shop, I'll give him that. He got into reproductions after having a good run in period antiques. He and I cross over on some lines (such as JL Treharn) and then he has a number of local chair and cabinentmakers that build for him. Some of his product is good, some not so good. A few years ago he used to have Lawrence Crouse build his Windsors, but has since moved to a cheaper product and they're not very well done.

Be sure what you buy is exactly what you want at GWC because they do not take returns. I had one customer of mine just spitting mad at them that told me they bought a set of chairs off the floor, took them out to their van and loaded them, and then decided they really wanted another set in the store instead. They would not let them swap out, once they go out the front door - they're yours. That customer was so angry, that he put those chairs on EBAY and then came and bought a set from me that was what he wanted in the first place (or so he told me).

Custom work is a bit tricky. You want to have a good working relationship with your store or cabinentmaker and get all the details worked out ahead of time. No one wants the custom piece to go bad and you as the customer unhappy. The store doesn't want it back, the cabinentmaker doesn't want it back and you don't want to be stuck with something that didn't turn out like you planned. So while there are a number of shops that can build that table from Pottery Barn, you want the shop that builds it like it is in your mind. Communication is the key, and having an artisan build it rather than just a woodworker is also one of the prime requirements. I only use two of my many sources for custom work, because they are artisans. Many of my regular shops don't have 'the eye' for doing one-offs.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

habs88 Guest

Sounds like the quality in your opinion is hit or miss with GWC. Interesting to hear because his prices are high (trestle table over 3k.)

I am not interested in cabinet maker trying to copy the pottery barn table. The main reason is because i envision that costing way too much.

After i realized we keep getting drawn back to the trestle style i went back to Treharn website. I noticed they have a trestle style. What is the price on that? Model number TT215.

Thanks for the help. Depending on where my cost comes in for a house renovation project we may be looking to purchase a dining table this summer.