Thread: Some questions about 2038NB

kalapaani Guest

Default Some questions about 2038NB

Hi,

1. How often does the gas strut on this model typically need replacement? I think once I find the sweet spot, I am not going to use the outside lever much.
    2. I have read many of the posts here regarding the extra firm vs extra full specification for cushions. What does extra firm for a back cushion mean given that it uses fiber instead of foam? Is it achieved by using extra fill i.e. extra full? For the seat, I believe it means a higher density core like 21oz. This is subjective but what cushion configuration would you recommend for this chair for someone looking for good lumbar and neck support?

Thanks.

Default Re: Some questions about 2038NB

I order two, maybe three gas struts for customers each year. Some of them are units that are close to 20 years old getting new struts. They are very much like the ones on the hood of your car, they don't fail often but they can fail once in awhile. About $ 90 for a new one.

We do extra firm SEATS, backs are only EXTRA FULL as the back cores are fiber fill. To a large degree it depends on the leather being used. If you are covering in a super-soft, pliable leather such as Capri then I like standard cores myself, but would say you can do Extra firm and Full and get about 15% firmer and be happy with either.

If I am doing them in a stiffer, thicker hide like Equestrian or Buckingham Walnut, then I would not want extra firms and suggest standards only.

And of course, we all have individual preferences....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

kalapaani Guest

Thanks, Duane. Would the same logic make sense for the bustle back cushions as well i.e. extra full for thinner hides and standard for thicker ones to get good support?

Yes, you can go extra full and try them. The may see too full at first, but they should settle down a bit in 4 to 6 weeks of use and conform to your back and head. I would not go extra full on thicker, stiffer hides however.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.