I too have a BY tilt back chair. It is 30-40 years old. I read that they use(d) the same gas strut "since they first came out". Is this true for chairs this old. My strut says it is a Verin Ch-9442. Will the $55 strut you mention replace this one?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
That's because you must order through a dealer - Bradington Young does not sell direct to end users, even for parts. They will not answer your inquires, either. Sorry.

A gas strut is $ 55 and that includes 48 state shipping. They use the same strut in all the models since they first came out. You can paypal to dcollie@keepingroom.com if you'd like to order one or call the store at 703-360-6399. If you Paypal, be sure to include your shipping address.

If you replace it yourself, its VERY IMPORTANT that you do not test cycle the gas cylinder prior to putting it in the piece if the unit comes with locking clips on it. If you make that mistake, you will have to order a new one. Put it in the unit, and then release the retaining clips. My guess is at least half my customers just have to see if that's true and they release the locks while they have in their hands, then call me up and say "Yep, you were right, do I really have to buy a new one again?" Yes, you do!