Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
350lb limit or more

This is the issue, most recliner mechanisms are not really designed for this weight level and you may experience failure of the mechanisms on a regular basis. Most mechanisms are rated for 275 lb., however there is a Leggett and Platt model that is rated to 350, its the G30 series:

http://homefurniturecomponents.com/c...&cid=664205518

I would start by looking for a recliner built around that G30 unit mechanism, and I would also get a power version, as motorized are less likely to get impact shocks which can shear rivets. I would then be mindful to always let the recliner cycle fully into the closed position before getting up from it, and try not to exceed the weight limit capacity.
Your site has completely changed how I'm viewing shopping for a leather recliner-- THANK YOU.

I'm wondering if things have changed in the past 3 years since your reply here about high weight capacity recliners. My struggle persists: very little transparency around reclining mechanisms being used and/or weight capacity ratings for finished pieces from the quality manufacturers.

Leggett and Platt's product lineup now includes:

• Heavy Duty Lift Plus - LIFT Recliner (450 lbs. Capacity)
  • 400EZ - Metal to the Floor (400 lbs. Capacity)
    and...
  • G30 - Suitable for High Leg Recliners (350 lbs. Capacity)

However, I can't figure out where to start to find H&M or B-Y models that are being built around any of these three mechanisms.

Any recommendations?

Sincerely,
~Matt (6'3, 350, and needs a recliner but dislikes cheap furniture with superpoofy arms that look like brown inflated/stuffed trash bags)