Thread: Leather set in the living room

Hybrid View

Default Re: Leather set in the living room

Like Tim Rogers (President at Hancock and Moore) tells me, you can 'pick your poison' with pets and leather furniture. Dogs will typically put surface scratches in protected leathers and on the pure aniline hide, they oils from their skin can stain the leather darker. Of course, just like people, all dogs are not alike and it really depends on how much they are on the furniture and how aggressive they might dig in the sofa. Also, how often you are willing to clean and condition the leather.

Burnished leathers hide a lot of sins! And they are quite easy to 'touch up' with a glaze. If you decide to go with Burnished, perhaps say in the lighter color series such as Weston Cane or Imperial Whiskey and have dealer spec the burnishing as 'light' to keep the effect less dramatic.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

luluinnc Guest

Default Re: Leather set in the living room

I had a chance to go in the factory and see some pieces I was interested in. I did see both the Weston Cane and the Buckhingham Walnut I had mentioned earlier. Like you said Buckhingham appears slightly lighter and more amber than the Weston Cane. Hard choice. I think they said # 1 seller was Weston & that Buckingham was nearing in to be #2 favorite pick. I will look up Imperial Whiskey. ( I just wanted to add that to be able to go to the factory where it is made and be given a tour is a real class act for a company. The H&M operation is full of the best talent in the industry and tremendous humility at the same time. I can not say enough about these people as a company)
    I do like your idea of "light on the burnishing". I was reluctant about burnished because I think leathers that have had a process like that can sometimes look dated in the coming years. But I did feel the" forgiveness factor" weighed in. Also having early American antiques in the room, the burnishing fits in with the rest of the patina in the room. The dogs are not oily and don't have a big impact on the furniture, but I did feel they made me shy away from Grade 4 because I want a home we can all live in and feel at ease.