Best tip I can tell you is to remove the word "AMISH" from everything you see and then decide if you'd still buy it.

I've had plenty of dealings with Amish and Mennonite suppliers over the years. Yes, they dress quaint. Yes, they are plain. And yes, they are as shrewd in business as they come. You better know what you're doing when you purchase from them and treat them like any other Joe, or you WILL be taken advantage of. Make no mistake, they are business people and realize they have a trade advantage being 'Amish' and will use that marketing to make sales. They do not particularly like outsiders, and hence will be firm to deal with. I have yet to find any that are freindly in supplier relationships - they are all business.

I was at a trade show some years ago looking at 'Amish Quilts' for my store. Lots of quilts in the booth....the ladies were all in their Amish dress, too. The quilts were expensive, $ 600 at wholesale and up. They said they handmade them all. Well, I started to look hard at the craftsmanship and the stitching wasn't so good on them. Regular machine stitching, and threads not every tight. At $ 600 dealer cost I expected to see hand-stitching, wouldn't you? Visions of a circle of Amish women quilting while the men built a barn, etc. As I'm flipping through the quilts, wary - I find my confirmation on one. They forgot to clip out the MADE IN CHINA tag on one of the quilts. I handed it to one of the Amish women there and said "I think you missed one".

Caveat Emptor!