Thread: Let's discuss furniture warranties

Hybrid View

Default Re: Let's discuss furniture warranties

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYWarranty_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	1110 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	1971

As an addition to this thread, be sure to READ the warranty carefully. There's sections that all but negate a repair because of conditions in the warranty.

As an example, I recently had a customer who observed that the arm panel of his year and a half old Bradington Young recliner was 'listing' and at an angle to the chair of a few degrees and wanted to begin a warranty claim. A look at that section of the Bradington Young warranty states (edited for brevity):

FRAME PARTS: Lifetime warranty against defects for the useful life of the product as ling as it stays in the original cover. BY will replace the part that is defective. After the First Year of Use, the warranty covers parts only and no labor or shipping costs.

OK, this means that they may send a $ 5.00 piece of wood crossmember that needs to be replaced, but no labor to repair it and no shipping charges to the factory on a 2-way trip. In effect, the 'lifetime' warranty is really a 1-year warranty for all practical aspects. This is important to know these things before you purchase. On something like a loose arm panel section, its always about labor and shipping. As a dealer, I sure hate to say "Sorry, can't do anything for you" on that, but the reality is the written warranty is what we have to work with. While I personally may not agree with the 'fine print' language in these warranties, no dealer cannot authorize repairs over and above what is stated.

Note that Hancock & Moore, another line I represent, does not have the time limitations on its motion frame warranty and would cover this as warranty claim. H&M recliners cost more, so there's that aspect of it as well but they offer a stronger warranty. It should be noted that H&M does reserve the right to refuse warranty claims is the product was mis-used in their determination.
    Last edited by drcollie; 12-23-2010 at 01:19 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

Default Re: Let's discuss furniture warranties

Duane I just found the HANCOCK & MOORE warranty registeration booklet/card under the sofa cushion of the ENVELOP I bought from you.
    Do not remember date of purchase, can not find paperwork on the sale. Sale was possible 5 years ago?
    There is no problem with the sofa. Perfect as the day it was delivered. Should I mail the registration card with out the complete information. The registration number sticker is still on as the entire booklet was inside of a plastic sleeve.
    Thanks